Saturday, August 15, 2009

Keep Your Eyes on the Road

I get freaked out when I notice metaphors in my daily life. In art, a good metaphor/symbol can create understanding and clarity, which I love.

**We're just 2 lost souls swimmin in a fishbowl
**

But when they pop up out of nowhere, I start to wonder if someone, somewhere, is trying to tell me something...

Last week, a girl that I grew up with passed away after she developed an infection from surgery. She had been fighting for a little over a month, but her body couldn't take it.

I couldn't stop thinking about that moment when a body finally gives in. No higher reasoning, no purpose to it - just an ending. What kind of wisdom is there to be gained after this kind of tragedy?

Of course, in the silence of it all, I listened to a lot of music, hoping to feel comforted by something. I used some Explosions In The Sky as an instrumental Indie Rock pillow.

Then, on the drive home from her funeral, a local classic rock station was playing faintly in the background, and The Doors' "Roadhouse Blues" came on. I heard that great Jim Morrison line a little differently, and it was exactly what I needed to hear:

"Well I woke up this morning and I got myself a beer/
The future's uncertain, and the end is always near".

I don't think you can always find meaning in death. I think it's all about what comes before. And all we can do is make it worthwhile, since we're here, now.

A lot to swallow for a second entry, I know. But life is what happens when you're busy making other plans...


3 comments:

  1. ah i hear u on that.... so true... esp when they are basically speaking to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A perfect 2nd entry my dear. Soulful & spirited. It is amazing how a moment if cosmic truth can come drifting through the radio waves at exactly the right moment. Or perhaps, in the right mindset, we're listening a bit closer & hearing what we need to hear.

    What a lovely portrait photo as well!

    xo
    -s

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ps- not to get too deep, but in the perfect "pandora soundtracked moment" I often think of us as those souls in the fishbowl that is our office.

    Happy to know you my dear.

    ReplyDelete